Friday, November 5, 2010

Day One at the Dune Shack Sunday 10/24/10







It's almost 6:30 PM and completely dark where I am. This is day one of a week long stay at Fowler dune shack. Earlier this afternoon, I was dropped off here at Fowler (pictured), one of 19 shacks located within the Peaked Hill Bars National Register Historic District, in Provincetown, MA. "The primitive nature of the structure - no electricity, indoor plumbing, or telephone - and its physical isolation allow for uninterrupted solitude and refuge." - that is how TheCompact.org's website succinctly describes the dune shack experience, and it is quite accurate.


The Compact is an organization that consists of some good spirited Cape Codders who facilitate artist residencies and shack stays for artists, writers, environmentalists, and really anyone who expresses an interest in living in one of these rustic shelters. The cottage is named after its original owners and builders, Stan and Laura Fowler c. 1949. It is a 1-story 3-room, side-gable frame structure supported by wood piers. The bedroom was added in the 1960's and the bathroom in the 1980's.

Early last month, I was alerted that there was an open week at Fowler for the last week in October. I entered my name in a random drawing and was picked as the alternate for the week. When the first name drawn couldn't get a week off from work on such short notice, the opportunity was passed to me. So, that's how I got here.

This blog will serve as a record of my time here and a form of companion while I'm here alone. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Maria Green said...

Hi Michael,
I just read your blog on day one at the dune shack and I too have entered the lottery for this years stay and get excited every time I think that I may even have the opportunity to stay in one of these shacks. I hope to be picked and I look forward to reading how the rest of your stay turned out. Were you craving electricity by day 4? :)

World Peace

Maria Green