Thursday, December 26, 2013

Sonya


Sonya

6.5" x 6.5"

watercolor on paper


When I began this project of painting an apple each day for thirty days, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get my hands on enough varieties of apples without having to repeat some.  I'm here to report that there is no shortage of apples types!  I'm continually amazed by how many different apples are out there and how they are being marketed.  The Sonya apple comes from New Zealand and is a cross between Gala and Red Delicious.  It has the narrow base that is common to both those varieties, but its flavor and texture are distinct.  

In my selection of which pieces of fruit I choose to paint, I try to find ones that are the most emblematic of their type.  I want to paint the greenest Granny Smith or the tallest and most angular Red Delicious I can find.  This leads to a lot of time spent comparing pieces of fruit at the grocery store and farmer's market and, consequently, a lot of strange looks from people.  



No comments: